Now exactly one week from the weekend that I’ve been waiting for since, well, exactly one year ago. There are many things I’m excited about, but reading this made me very happy:
“Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the low 50s.”
(Below, left to right: The Yeah Yeah Yeahs perform, Holly hangs with Blind Pilot, I chill on the lawn, and I meet the Doves lead singer)
Last year it was between 90-100 the whole time. I missed Grizzly Bear because we were so exhausted that we hung out in the comedy tent watching God’s Pottery instead. That, readers, is one of my life’s biggest regrets. Didn’t know it at the time, because Grizzly Bear wasn’t one of my favorite bands yet. But by the end of the year I hade christened Grizzly Bear’s “Veckatimest” the best album of 2009.
This year we plan to use our experience from last year to help this year’s be even better. Here’s how:
- Staying in a hotel. Yup. Sure, this may be anti-festival, but the thrill of camping out and getting no sleep while everyone parties outside your tent is quickly lost. This year we plan on getting more sleep.
- Bringing nothing that can melt. Not even trail mix with M&Ms.
- Changes of clothes. Desert climates make it so that short sleeves and short are necessary in the day but jeans and jacket work better at night.
Aaaaaaaand, because I love lists, here’s some lists!
Five Bands I’m Most Pumped About:
- The Hold Steady
- Band of Horses
- Minus the Bear
- My Morning Jacket
- LCD Soundsystem
Smaller Bands I Can’t Wait to See Live
- Freelance Whales
- Local Natives
- The xx
- Dirty Projectors
- Portugal. The Man
Worst Scheduling Conflicts
- The National vs. The Hold Steady
- Freelance Whales vs. The xx
- MGMT vs. The New Pornographers
- Mumford & Sons vs. Minus the Bear
- Vampire Weekend vs. Nada Surf
Five-Star Songs I Could Potentially See
- Band of Horses - “Funeral”, “Detlef Schrempf”, “Ode to LRC”, “No One’s Gonna Love You”, and “Window Blues”
- The Hold Steady - “First Night”
- LCD Soundsystem - “All My Friends” and “Someone Great” (Special note…I believe “All My Friends” probably holds my current title of “favorite song”)
- MGMT - “Time to Pretend”
- Nada Surf - “See These Bones”
- Passion Pit - “Sleepyhead”
Five Other Things That Will Be Awesome
- She & Him is fronted by the angel that is actress/indie musician Zooey Deschanel. I will be front row, probably.
- I get a second chance to see Passion Pit after they conflicted with Silversun Pickups last year.
- Seeing Massive Attack’s “Teardrop” at night
- Getting to see The Hold Steady live as my fandom of them is right at its peak
- Going not only with my wife this year, but also with my awesome sister-in-law Anna and her rocking-husband/groomsman-quality-friend Seth.
I plan on keeping a nightly blog if time permits!