I’m sure I’ve forgotten some, and I imagine that rankings like these probably change all the time, but my siblings recently attempted/are attempting to list their top 50 movies of all time. Here’s what I put together:
50. Garden State - Quirky Natalie Portman introduces the world to The Shins. "They'll change your life".
49. On the Waterfront - Leaves little doubt that Marlon Brando is one of the best actors of all time.
48. Into the Wild - Turns any pretentious hippie who thinks they know what the movie is about on their head.
47. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Nurse Ratched = most normal villain ever
46. Mean Girls - "You're gonna wanna touch each other. And if you do, you will catch Chlamydia. And die."
45. Dodgeball - "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball". Also, best cameo ever (Lance Armstrong).
44. Star Wars (Original trilogy) - Han Solo might be the best character created.
43. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - "Four eyes four eyes, you need glasses to see!"
42. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Such a beautiful, trippy movie. Art film at its best.
41. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Perfectly acted. And I had no idea it would be that funny.
40. Finding Nemo - Would have been higher, but it didn't have staying power. Mostly because Dori is only funny the first time.
39. North by Northwest - Hitchcock's best work. And Cary Grant is awesome.
38. Babe - Pure, innocent joy.
37. Minority Report - Superbly acted and thought out. I love movies like this that make you think.
36. Napoleon Dynamite - I'm not arguing that this is a "good" movie, but I can't leave off the most quoted movie of all time.
35. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - Ridiculously good time. Perfect PG-13 Disney action.
34. Star Trek: First Contact - James Cromwell makes this one.
33. X2: X-Men United - Best sequel ever? It is according to my list.
32. Beauty and the Beast - Belle is the best Disney chick ever.
31. A Few Good Men - Of all the overrated scenes in movie, the "you can't handle the truth" scene is not one of them.
30. Little Miss Sunshine - "So you stopped talking because of Friedrich Nietzsche?"
29. Crazy Heart - Newest addition. A must see. So sincere and touching. Jeff Bridges blew me away.
28. Back to the Future - Between the mom-and-son and dance hall scenes, this movie had some classic parts.
27. Apollo 13 - I still get chills during the heat shield scene. The movie use silence so effectively.
26. Love Actually - So awesome on so many levels.
25. Forrest Gump - The movie has given us so many classic lines that it's entrenched itself in daily dialogue.
24. Collateral - Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx show that two great actors can sit in a taxi a whole movie and be amazing.
23. Coraline - Who would have thought it? And no one saw it.
22. Shawshank Redemption - Morgan Freeman and the guy who ran the library are so perfect in this one.
21. Shrek - Had that perfect combo of heart and hilarity. Second only to Toy Story in this department.
20. Juno - You know a movie is funny when you watch it alone and die laughing.
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - There have been a few good HP's, but this one was so good it made the Top 20.
18. Moulin Rouge - Between the cinematography and the music this is one of the most entrancing movies ever.
17. Batman Begins - The best super hero movie of all time. Christian Bale was perfect, and Michael Caine was born for Alfred.
16. Galaxy Quest - Crewman #6 on an away mission the best comedy scene ever?
15. Rudy - Still get chills when he runs on the field for the first time.
14. Casablanca - There's nothing overrated here. Brilliantly acted suspenseful drama. The dueling anthems is classic film.
13. Oceans 11 - Some stellar ensemble casting, hilarious writing, and still a great story.
12. Big Fish - This film just takes me to another world. My favorite Tim Burton movie, and I pretty much like every Tim Burton movie.
11. The Prestige - I'm pretty good at predictions, but this one got me. Superbly acted in every way.
10. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Losing faith in politicians is not new. Jimmy Stewart restores some hope.
9. About a Boy - My go-to movie recommendation, because apparently no one ever saw this one.
8. Princess Bride - Absolute comic gold. One of the most quotable movies the world has seen.
7. It's a Wonderful Life - The acting, the heart, the message...it's the perfect holiday movie.
6. Saving Private Ryan - Full Metal Jacket has the best boot camp scene, but this is the best war movie ever made.
5. 12 Angry Men - What fascinates me about this movie is that it takes place in one room and creates such intense drama.
4. Field of Dreams - "Dad....do you wanna have a catch?" *sniff*
3. Say Anything - So sincere and well-written. Just when you think the movie is comedy it reminds you that life is not all laughs.
2. Toy Story - Pixar has managed to never make a bad movie, yet still can't top the original.
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy - So epic that it is hard to even compare it to other movies
Honorable mentions: Crash, Se7en, Up, Rat Race, Goodfellas, Walk the Line, Hunt for Red October, Iron Man, Slumdog Millionaire, Pride and Prejudice, The Patriot, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Sandlot, The Sting, Bourne Identity, Tin Cup, What About Bob?, Canadian Bacon, A Beautiful Mind, The Matrix, The Departed, Kill Bill, Finding Neverland, Ray, Gattaca, Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!, Emporer's New Groove, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Sneakers, Memento, Donnie Darko, Passion of the Christ, Mission Impossible, and School of Rock.